Monday, May 3, 2010

The Necessity of Adventure....


What can I say? It's necessary....

Is it a guy thing? A Scorpio thing?

An everybody thing?


Do we all crave some sort of adventure but some of us just keep it inside? Why do we keep it inside? Is it not socially acceptable to crave something outside of the normal? If I express a desire to take a hiatus and go on an adventure, it is met with criticism, or "Good luck with that..." type statements. Why? Why are people not encouraged to at least follow these feelings once or twice in a lifetime? We wait all year so we can take 2 weeks off, and try to make it an adventure, but at the same time make it relaxing (all-inclusive, Apple Vacations...). Then it's back to work (don't forget to have that vacation logged correctly WEEKS before you go, or you get a little "talking to" by the powers that govern PTO).


I took a vacation a couple years ago from an unamed corporation (at which I will never work again, even if they are the last corporation on earth to be hiring). I decided to drive to Pennsylvania, from Colorado, and take about 4 days to do it. I figured that will give me some sort of reasonable facsimile of an adventure. I could stop anytime I wanted. I didn't have to follow a schedule for anyone. Sure...I kept family informed of where I was so no one freaked out like when they don't know anything about what's going on. BUT...I had to be reachable by "work" because there wasn't anyone there that could do exactly what I do there. By being "reachable", apparently that meant being on conference calls for about 8 hours a day through the whole trip. To make a long story short, that sort of sucked the life out of the sense of adventure. I became one of those people I abhor....wearing a bluetooth...walking through a store, restaurant, bathroom, anything....talking to some invisible person or persons, on the other end. It's a sign of the times, people say...so get used to it. I don't want to get used to it. I wish there wasn't anyone at all that wanted to get used to it. My body literally rejects things like Bluetooths. Seriously. I can't even keep it in my ear. It is slowly forced out by the resistance my cells have to electronic technology being attached to them in any way. I have to hold it in with my hand. It is a bit silly to own a piece of technology that frees up your hands, only to have to hold it on my ear....with my hand.

But anyway...adventure. That trip was a bust.

I think one of the issues these days is that people are not progressing as fast as society is progressing. We still have our primitive instincts, very near the surface. They haven't evolved out of us as quickly as society says they should have. So....I can't speak for everyone, but for myself I know that in some cases it becomes painful to maintain this level of acceptability that seems to be expected. My answer is to live alone, and live near the wilderness, so that I can come home and go outside...walk a trail...listen to the animals...breathe... I don't know how I would live without this grounding time. What does one do when they truly feel different and out of place?

I'm guessing that we are here to at least be happy in some way. We supposedly can choose the lives that we want. Why do we choose what we choose? Some choose exactly what they want to do and are ecstatic every day. Some don't. Some wonder what else there is...or is there anything else? Best not to think TOO much about it, right? It could mess up the system as it is. Don't rock the boat. Nothing's perfect, so decide what you can accept, and go with it. Life is not a bowl of cherries. Life is not all pudding and Nilla Wafers.

Adventure...I guess that's a personal thing. Some can get their adventure from a book. Some, from a complicated software project.

Mine has to be something physical. Touch, hear, smell, taste, see.....

I'm glad we don't evolve to our surroundings in one lifetime, because when I die, I don't want to have spindly legs, a big flat butt, eyes as big as saucers, and skin that is as white as new snow, and just as fragile. A life of computers would not make a person a very pretty example of evolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment