Well....word has it that the world, as we know it, will end on December 21st, 2012 (12212k12.net).
The Mayan calendar says so. Who are the Mayans? They are of a Mesoamerican people, known for fully developed written language, art, architecture, and mathematical and astronomical systems. Another website can tell you more if you want to know.
Here...I am just wondering what it all means?
Here...I am just wondering what it all means?
I am wondering if I should go get one of the new car deals that have 2 years, no interest, no payments. By the time the bills come due....the Mayan calendar will have run out. But if I go to bed and wake up and it's Dec 22nd, then my car gets repossessed, I have a dozen 55 gallon drums full of sugar and salt, 7 years worth of toothpaste and hand soap, and more lima beans than a sane person should have. There would also be that huge assortment of canned items that get pushed back into the cupboard as I bought more of the things I really eat from day to day, in normal life. When food runs out that December, and I think I have enough canned goods to last a lifetime, I will see that I will now exist on beets, stewed tomatoes, lima beans, spam, sardines that I won't remember buying, a dozen zip lock bags of broken and stale taco shells, and maybe a few cans of those little round white onions that I learned when I were 8 years old, are not easy to hide in a glass of milk since they float and don't sink, but I knew very little about relative densities at age 8.
So, I know people that did all of the hoarding and stocking up for Y2K. A few even bought shotguns and hid them up in the ceiling so that on New Year's Day, after everyone sobered up, they could protect themselve from other hangover laden persons that came and kicked the door in to confiscate every can of chicken broth they could find. Everyone has a few of those in the back of a pantry, right? I'll bet even beets taste better in chicken broth. Anyway...those people still have most of their Y2K stuff. Of course...the batteries are dead, the sugar and salt are overrun with little crawly things, they forget where they hid the shotguns, and they are on the verge of death anyway from eating ten years worth of those freeze dried camping foods that have about 2500 grams of sodium per serving, rather than admit they were a bit quick on the draw for buying them in the first place.
At the rate I am personally going, I will have more than enough cans of unusual vegetables to barter with as people stream through town looking for a television station or someone in charge or gasoline or chicken broth. I'm not sure what they will have to trade.
But I hope it's Twinkies.
So, I know people that did all of the hoarding and stocking up for Y2K. A few even bought shotguns and hid them up in the ceiling so that on New Year's Day, after everyone sobered up, they could protect themselve from other hangover laden persons that came and kicked the door in to confiscate every can of chicken broth they could find. Everyone has a few of those in the back of a pantry, right? I'll bet even beets taste better in chicken broth. Anyway...those people still have most of their Y2K stuff. Of course...the batteries are dead, the sugar and salt are overrun with little crawly things, they forget where they hid the shotguns, and they are on the verge of death anyway from eating ten years worth of those freeze dried camping foods that have about 2500 grams of sodium per serving, rather than admit they were a bit quick on the draw for buying them in the first place.
At the rate I am personally going, I will have more than enough cans of unusual vegetables to barter with as people stream through town looking for a television station or someone in charge or gasoline or chicken broth. I'm not sure what they will have to trade.
But I hope it's Twinkies.
No comments:
Post a Comment